About this Show

The Five

NETWORK

DURATION
01:01:00

RATING

SCANNED IN
San Francisco, CA, USA

SOURCE
Comcast Cable

TUNER
Channel v760

VIDEO CODEC
mpeg2video

AUDIO CODEC
ac3

PIXEL WIDTH
1280

PIXEL HEIGHT
720

TOPIC FREQUENCY

Russia 46, Ukraine 19, Sarah Palin 8, Us 8, John Kerry 7, Europe 5, America 5, Washington 5, Dana 4, Nato 4, United States 4, China 4, Georgia 4, Obama 3, Greg 3, Crimea 3, Eu 3, Hollywood 3, Eric 3, Colorado 3,
Borrow a DVD
of this show
  FOX News    The Five  

    March 4, 2014
    1:00 - 2:01am PST  

1:00am
hello, everyone. yp dana perino along with kimberly guilfoyle, bob beckel, eric bolling, and greg gutfield. it's 5:00 in new york city, and this is "the five." as russia tightens its grip on the crimea region of the ukraine, the united states is weighing their options to tighten their grip on the country. john kerry is headed there tonight. russia has given a deadline of 10:00 p.m. eastern for two war ships to surrender or be seized. putin made his first public appearance today to watch military maneuvers in russia, and earlier today, president obama offered this warning. >> i think the strong
1:01am
condemnation that it's received from countries around the world indicates the degree to which russia is on the wrong side of history on this. if in fact they continue on the current trajectory they're on, we're examining a whole series of steps, economic, diplomatic, that will isolate russia. this will be a costly proposition. >> nato's counsel will hold an emergency meeting at the request of poland. it feels its security is threatened. bob, i want to go to you first. in any white house, you can be going along, you have your agenda, your state of the union and all of a sudden, something happens overseas and lands on the president's desk. what do you think of the developments? >> it hands on his desk at a time when his biggest negative is he's not a very strong president. here you have this major foreign policy issue, which is a significant issue. let's not understate this. the whole ukrainian issue for eastern europe and nato is very
1:02am
important. i understand that. i watched today when the u.n. ambassador from russia, security council empowered our ambassador, who is very good. the russian guy said we're in there for human rights. i mean, it was so obviously typical old school russian, and she said -- she was very good at outlining what they had done wrong. i don't think they're going to give up the crimea. they're going to try to annex it. then the question is what do we do about it? what are the options? no military options so it's economic options. first thing, thrown out of the g-8. that would hurt the russians. probably cut off their oil and gas to europe, but i think that's a price they may have to pay. >> do you think, eric, any of the outlines the president made, possible bans for russians, how much we have to bring to bear to make a difference? >> i'm sure president obama right now is worded a strongly worded tweet to deliver to
1:03am
vladimir putin and that might scare him. i agree with bob on a lot of this. however, i think we need to wait. what we really need to do is wait for the european union. they have to do this first. it's not us. look, they're most at risk. there's half a trillion in trade going back and forth between the eu and russia. it's big, but it's nowhere near the eu is. they need russian gas and oil. about a third of all their energy products come from russia. they are kind of afraid to fire a shot at russia. economic shot. and russia, they need to realize, russia needs those petrol dollars. they can't cut off the european union and stop shipping them gas and oil. russia would buckle under. they would buckle under. they need each other. this has to come from the eu, and we should join the eu with economic sanctions, at least the threat, and that would be enough for putin to get out. >> the e.u.'s position has not
1:04am
always been that strong. there are lots of other positions. i'm going to go to this sound on tape and then get kimberly and greg's thoughts. >> an incredible act of aggression. really a stunning willful choice by president putin to invade another country. russia is in violation of the sovereignty of ukraine. >> this is a time for careful, wise, steady leadership. >> we know that the russians have basically violated every major treaty they ever entered into. we see how they basically lied. they're lying, and this government is a government of liars. >> i think putin is playing chess and i think we're playing marbles. >> every time the president goes on national television and threatens putin or anyone like putin, everybody's eyes roll, including mine. we have a weak and indecisive president. >> bob, i know you started off
1:05am
your comment saying it is perceived that president obama is weak. >> i don't like the politicians taking available of this. gr they have a right to make their point. let's give greg the right to make his point about your thoughts over the weekend. >> i think it's funny two weeks ago john kerry was saying climate change was the biggest enemy in the world, and what happened? he forgot about hurricane vlad. saying to a tyrant that you're on the wrong side of history means nothing. it's like telling a bank robber he doesn't have an account at the bank. they know. i have a weird prediction, and i don't know if it's good or bad, but i think that there's going to be an emergence of a modern american nationalism out of necessity. just because there's no -- >> what do you mean? >> there's going to be something, probably a little bit scarier -- 1979, what we saw was the emergence of a new leader, a strong leader, a pro-american leader in ronald reagan because you sensed the country needed it. there's nowhere else to go for
1:06am
america. you can't get any less ambivalent than we are about the world. it's a combination of isolation on the left and right. we want to turn out the lights and pretend we're not home. right now we're in a state where we have to see a resurgence of a very nationalistic leader out of necessity because no one seems to listen to us. and i don't know if that's good or bad. i think it might be good. >> what are your thoughts on that? >> i think this is a bad situation. a tipping point in many respects because this is just more of putin asserting himself. he is the bad guy. he is the bully here. he's the one in violation, but unfortuna unfortunately, i'm not very optimistic about a kind of sanctions we might put forward or, you know, removal from the g-8, because i think russia and putin will find a way to go around it. he's been very successful at doing that. look, i want to be optimistic. glass half full and all that, but a little sprinkle of reality in there.
1:07am
>> i think eric is exactly right about the e.u. they're the ones with most at stake. they have to make the decision. here's another thing that will happen. there will be a move at the security council to put enforcements on -- put sanctions on russia. the question is, where is china going to be on that? >> i'll tell you. >> well, there was news today on that. confusion on that because world leaders have phone calls and then their pr people rush to the microphones to try to shape those phone calls. so putin and the chinese president had a meeting today by phone. afterwards, russia said, oh, the chinese agreed with us, that we're in the right. then the chinese had to come out and say, no, no, not necessarily. however, i think that is the concern. that china would say, well, we have permission now to do what we want to do. >> whatever, russia -- nothing can get through, but i'm curious about the chinese. >> don't forget, the chinese are adjacent to russia and they get
1:08am
gas and oil from russia. they're very -- they have the same situation that the european union had. >> and ukrainian agricultural products as well. >> here's how dependent they are. they produce around 10 million barrels of oil, forget gas, of oil a day. they use about 4 million. 5 million barrels a day. $105, $106 a barrel. that's a ton of money. they're entirely in need of oil prices to be high. by the way, this conflict is shooting oil prices up. up $4 a barrel in europe. $2 here. >> that's what they have to rely on. >> lindsey graham mentioned this, i think he's off base on this. a couple other senators mentioned it, that we should look at our banking system and freeze some assets of russia. individual russians, not only -- >> that's what they did to the iranians. >> this is dangerous. you're going to start making our banking system, you know, the ruler, the stick you're going to start hitting people that you don't agree with over the hand
1:09am
with, you're going to take the legs out of our own financial banking system. >> that's what we did with osama bin laden's lieutenants. that's one of the ways the treasury department was able to track people down. >> because they were holding american prisoners. >> i want to get to something else, bob, you said about the rushzs and how they're trying to shape this. they have their own pr needs. greg, let's get your take on it. when russia says they're doing this out of respect of rule of law and out of human rights and the ability for people to live the way they want to live, if you're in russia and you hear that, you're probably more sympathetic to russia than the ukrainians. >> well, that's all russians hear, propaganda. they don't have a free press. they have no idea what's going on. the big concern to me is that putin has one thought in his mind. and one thought only. that is power. we have a president right now that's preoccupied with a plethora of issues in which none of them are prioritized. they're equal fitting and
1:10am
setting. it could be a gay athlete, climate fluctuations, an angry professor. all these things are swirling around in obama's head. meanwhile, you have a guy who only thinks about one thing and one thing only. that's power. >> what do you think, kimberly, you have one guy ocd on power and the other guy add on liberal ideology. >> there was an interesting piece written today in u.s. news. and it's quoting a lot of intel world people about how america and putin, the way that we see him is not necessarily how he sees himself. when secretary kerry says putin is acting from a position of weakness, a lot of people say, obviously, he's acting from a position of strength. do you think there's maybe some truth to the fact putin feels threatened which is why he's trying to amass more power. >> i think he feels awesome. i think he's a classic narcissist, but i think he's acting in the best interests. the people don't know what's good for them, i do know. i'll make sure it happens.
1:11am
i don't think he sees it any other way, or honestly that he feels insecure in his position. i think he feels this is his destiny, that he's entitled, that this is his course of action and he's not uncertain about it and he'll do whatever it takes to get and achieve what he wants. >> what do you think, bob? >> what can he achieve? this is the current situation. the interim government which called an election for may 25th, including the former government, they have agreed they would leave the russians alone and let them have their port in the crimea. they have agreed they would abide by the accords in place when ukraine established the relationship with europe. from putin's standpoint, ukraine going to the european union is a deadly thing because it's the end of his goal of trying to put the old ussr together. the last thing i'll say, how in the world, if they're agreeing to let the russians have the crimean ports and they elect a president, what's russia's argument going to be then? >> this is the point i was
1:12am
hoping to be able to make also. so, the crimean region is a semiautonomous region. they have their own parliament set up. also, the region is very friendly to the russians. more so than they are the ukrainian people. this is going to be unpopular. would it be the worst thing in the world if the crimean region went to russia? ukraine stayed whole, and all of the trade that went through ukrainians from russia into eastern europe and the rest of europe stayed the same? >> then you have all those baltic states who are feeling pressure as well, and they don't feel secure in their democracy. >> they feel like they're next. >> so many people have given their lives to have a strong democracy there. i think that -- i see your point, and i thing that's the one that russia will make to moldova and other places in the region, and then putin is actually then able to amass more power. >> except i think eric is right on a point here. it does sound like we're weak.
1:13am
what if we did it in exchange for the ukraine being part of nato? >> are you willing to do it everywhere else? >> bring ukraine officially into the e.u. >> that goes back to something that you said -- >> not a bad chess game. >> is there anyone who would be -- >> i'm not willing to trade people. >> dana is like, no. >> i think the eu has got to step up to the plate. they were the ones who denied expansion to nato, to both georgia and ukraine when they had the opportunity in april of 2008. gr this is sort of their moment, don't you think, to exercise some diplomacy. otherwise, i think it's kind of an ineffectual group. >> the ukrainian dream was inspired by our own pursuit for freedom. and now in a weird way, we're saying you're on your own because we got ours. we used to embrace countries we inspired. i'm not so sure we're that way anymore because we don't inspire our own president.
1:14am
>> the other thing is how weak the ukrainian government is, they have been running deficits, they have almost no money in their treasury. so what do you need to be strong? you need a good economy, right? >> we solved it all. >> next, mitt romney and sarah palin warned years ago about what is happening in russia today. they were mocked by president obama and others on the whole left. we have the tape. and later, stars, selfies, and slices at the academy awards last night. stay tuned for our thoughts on the big show on this big show.
1:15am
1:16am
1:17am
1:18am
so, sarah palin could see russia from her house, or rather putin's threats. she warned us in 2008 if barack obama wins, his indecision and moral equivalence may spur putin to invade ukraine.
1:19am
she was mocked for it because as you know, she talks funny and stuff. who could forget the debate that obama had a lame joke that poked fun at mitt for calling him a foe. >> russia is a geopolitical foe. excuse me, it's a geopolitical foe, and i said in the same paragraph, i said, and iran is the greatest national security threat we face. russia does continue to battle us in the u.n. time and time again. i have clear eyes on this. i'm not going to wear rose colored glasses when it comes to russia or mr. putin. >> the 1980s are now calling to ask for their foreign policy back because the cold war has been over for 20 years. >> now, i tell the president to keep his day job, but that's the problem, he kept it. there's nothing gained from screaming i told you so to a giggling ironic media. we should want to be proven wrong because that means the country is okay. but there's a lesson in palin and mitt's validation.
1:20am
if they were right then, what else are they right about? let's dredge up that phrase, drill, baby drill. drill keystone, undercut the price russia charges for europe and we'll win the new cold war the way we won the last one, by bankrupting russia without firing a shot, and we'll kiss off the crazies in the middle east while we're at it. maybe he'll stand up to the far left environmentalists in your own party. i want to play this, my favorite. this is john kerry bashing sarah palin and mitt romney over their short sightedness over russia. >> he's even blurted out the preposterous notion that russia is our number one political, geopolitical foe. sarah palin said she could see russia from alaska. mitt, mitt romney talks like he's only seen russia by watching rocky iv. >> oh, my gosh. >> bob, that -- that's
1:21am
disgusting. sarah palin is a secretary of state than john kerry. >> let's put this into perspective. back during that period, ukraine was always a centerpiece of the right's argument about how russia was going to be the first place they were going to go, georgia and ukraine. i'm not surprised he said it. a lot of people were saying, she was not alone. having said that, i still wonder today if this were today and ronald reagan were in office today, what would he do? stand on the border of ukraine and say, go back home, russia? what would he do? >> i don't know. >> we're interested in what our president is going to do and how to handle it. >> we talked about this. does the eu -- >> reagan was in power, let's face it. >> it's the mocking. it's the mocking from the left in the media from someone from the right that had said anything about foreign policy. interestingly, you never know what the issue is going to be. in the year 2000, neither bush
1:22am
nor gore was asked about al qaeda by anybody in the media. you never know what's going to happen. the ukraine and georgia, that was, the signs were there. the bush administration will admit on georgia, it missed a lot of the signs. why can't they admit it and be gracious. they're so mean to her. >> very mean. >> a lot of people were saying that. can you name some? >> sure. >> not putting you on the spot. i will tell you who was made fun of. sarah palin and mitt romney were made fun of them, and there's no apologies made now by the lefties on msnbc who trashed her. they should walk that back, saying she may have said the, but we trashed her. >> i don't know about mitt romney, but i have very serious questions about whether sarah palin really understood the geopolitical ramifications of what she was saying. >> now you're undermining it and can't be gracious and said she was right. >> go back to her speech and
1:23am
listen. she outlined that russians will move and the likely target is ukraine. >> and the likely target, the russians were going to move back the last 15 years is ukraine. >> can i bring kimberly into this. my other issue is the danger of embracing a messenger at the expense of the message. people like obama because he was cooler and the squares who were palin and mitt, were mocked even if they were right. >> it came down to a popularity contest. let's tally up the votes who wins for prom queen and king. that's not what life is about. we became ill-equipped and unprepared for a situation like this. they can laugh and say all the stupid things they want about mitt and sarah palin, but at least they haven't been humiliated internationally and domestically how many times by russia? whether it was about the syria complex, about snowden, the ukraine, all of this. look at the mess we have to deal with right now. >> there's also a strange thing that happened yesterday on the sunday shows. secretary of state john kerry
1:24am
talking to david gregory on "meet the press" and he asked him about the russian reset and how that factors into all this? kerry says i don't know what you're talking about. he said, no, wait, the whole thing you based president obama's foreign policy on. and they just get a pass. nobody is making fun of secretary kerry today. >> no one follows up with a question. >> that question was ridiculous. let me say this in defense of what mitt romney did and sarah palin. we have been so consumed with islamic terrorists that we have not looked at potential -- the big geopolitical picture which is russia and china. so if the obama administration missed it, a lot of people missed it. while we're focusing on these terrorists that i think we're overfocused on, we have left alone some of the bigger players in the world. >> to be fair, i think you're right. i still think terror is number one. but i always thought russia was a second-tier issue. i felt that way because i wanted to believe it. i wanted to believe that the russians were so much in love
1:25am
with the west, but i conflated russia with putin. >> russians have been helpful to the united states when it came to fighting radical islamic terrorism. >> because it's in their own self interest. >> putin is the president of a sovereign nation. he should not be allowed to invade other sovereign nations. when you're fighting an idealogical war, you have to work with people like putin. >> can i point out the difference between china and russia and the war on terror? the national interest. where is the threat to the national interest of russia going into crimea in ukraine? there's very little. >> national security is the united states commitment to our european allies. >> you have to see who has skin in the game. >> we do have skin in the game. >> talk about whether there's a national interest of americans abroad who are being blown to smith renes in certain areas or blown up here in america. >> the five's oscar breakdown is next.
1:26am
1:27am
1:28am
1:29am
1:30am
time for the fastest seven. three stories with gravity. seven american minutes that hustle one former wolf for a host. first up, academy award acceptance speeches can go in many different directions. here's a montage of memorable moments. jared was long winded. lupita was emotional, and matthew was spot on. >> in 1971, bosher city, louisiana, there was a teenage girl who was pregnant with her second child. she was a high school dropout, and a single mom. but somehow, she managed to make
1:31am
a better life for herself and her children. that girl is my mother, and she's here tonight. >> when i look down at this golden statue, may it remind me and every little child that no matter where you're from, your dreams are valid. >> first off, i want to thank god because that's who i look up to. he has graced my life with opportunity that i know are not of my hand or any other human hand. >> dana, let's go to you. surprising matthew mcconaughey, not the last thought, right out of the box. >> what i wrote down here is, when did it become news and surprising for people to thank god? and it really does seem like it's so brave and courageous. i guess it is in front of a crowd like that. that's the movie i want to see. that's on my list of the ones. >> great movie. >> i gave it to you. >> i know. i haven't had time. i'm going to watch it. >> no, for our popcorn party. >> you're assuming when he said
1:32am
god, he meant god. he was talking about harvey weinstein. the best line of the oscars was ellen saying there were two possibilities at the end of the night, possibility one, 12 years a slave wins. possibility two, you're all racist. that was a brave and very funny, and it summed up the whole oscars. >> didn't you say that some time? . >> did you like lupita. she was so happy? >> so sweet, so genuine. she hasn't been compromised or tainted by any of the hollywood vices. she was like purity, right? someone who was so happy to be there. i loved her, i loved mcconaughey. he looked thin. other than that, i think it was good. >> how about jared leto? >> the lead guy? >> the first guy. >> i never heard of the guy before. i saw the movie, and i said, that really can't be the same person who played that woman. not only a remarkable acting job. i thought what he said there about raising the issue about
1:33am
his mother, but more importantly, what everybody associated with that movie did was educate people once again about the scourge of aids that was very prevalent in the '80s and '90s and a lot of people have lost track of it. i'm glad to see it come back. and i think ellen degeneres was -- this is the first oscars i watched. she was funny, good, moved it along. and you're right. it took a lot of nerve. the last point, to say god is the first in front of the crowd, courage. >> up next, check out the star selfie. ellen got the first few rows of stars to pose for an impromptu selfie. it crashed twitter and broke the record for most retweets in history. almost 3 million so far. think it was impromptu. >> i think it was planned. what drives me nuts, the worst gag was jimmy kimmel did the skit where he enters someone's house to admonish them for doing mean tweets. they portrayed the viewer as
1:34am
fat, stupid slobs and they tweet this and get all this retweeting. social media is driving your ratings right now, and you insulted your whole audience. you called them losers. i would have turned off the tv but i had to talk about it today. they called all of us fat pigs. this thing. >> the mean ones we get, you know them. >> yeah, the media does the mean twe tweeting. and kimmel is a mean comic. he did the man show. the man show was twitter before there was twitter. >> i think jimmy kimmel is so funny. >> i have to say one thing. my daughter made me watch the red carpet coming in. i19, ridiculous, self-absorbed. everything about american culture, including the people who do the interviews and the sweet people in the booths who did the interview. >> can i make a comment about social media? the oscars. maybe it works for them to have a five-hour long show. i didn't watch it, except on
1:35am
twitter. i watched maureen walsh, makeup at fox. she has great tweets. your tweets were very funny. i was retweeting. i was watching it that way while i watched the programs i wanted to watch on netflix. >> you wouldn't watch it if it started at 6:00 in the morning. >> i want to get that in. the retweet, almost 3 million retweets, the prior record was president obama's about 775,000. by the way, a lot of people yelling at us for doing oscar people, but a lot of other people like to hear about it and talk about it. >> leave it to huff post to ruin a good time. he compared an awards show to a bloody conflict playing out in russia. it's hollywood. illusion, fantasy, story telling. not bloody foreign policy. bob, you can kick back and watch a little hollywood, can't you? >> i know howard well, and i'm not that surprised. he gets somewhat enamored by that crowd.
1:36am
there's too much of an incestiousness between new york and washington. they think they're the only two people who can discuss anything important when most of them are so vaccious, they can't discuss anything. >> they think nobody is good or smort or funny or evolved. >> and who cares about what they wear? >> can i go back to number two? i wore the stretch pants and the little kind of pajama outfit and ate the leftover five. so i am like the jimmy kimmel thing. >> i didn't know howard fineman was the editorial director of the huffington post. that's like being the editorial director of ceasy's. how could you be so clueless about your own media? >> terrible, i didn't rete the tweet. academy awards show shows diversity, taolerance of obama e era. oscars are as powerful. >> i think he married the right
1:37am
woman. his wife apparently told him, he tweets this afterwards, before i tweeted that earlier thing out, my wife said it was the most vapid observation ever. i guess she was right. >> i think he made that up, too? >> olympic blade runner oscar pistorius started today in south africa. he's accused of murdering his girlfriend on valentine's day last year. one of his neighbor s was first up on the stand and told what she heard that night. very dramatic.
1:38am
1:39am
1:40am
1:41am
he made history in 2012 by becoming the first double a amputee to compete in the olympics. he made a plea at the opening
1:42am
statement of his murder trial. >> how do you plead? >> not guilty, my lady. >> thank you. >> pistorius is accused of killing his girlfriend, reeva steenkamp, in his home last year. he says it was an accident. mistaking her for an intruder, but prosecutors say he shot her intentionally after a fight. well, the first witness in the case took the stand today, a neighbor named michelle berger. here's her telling the court what she heard that night. >> she screamed terribly and yelled for help. i also heard a man screaming for help. three times he yelled for help, just after her scream, my lady, i heard four shots. it was four shots, gunshots i heard. it was very traumatic for me. you could hear that it was blood curdling screams. >> that is very important testimony because you have somebody who was, you know, a
1:43am
near witness at the time that this is going down to tell the sequence of events, which is very important to tell if this was intentional, if it was an accident, did he mistake her for an intruder. you herd her saying she heard her yelling. a female voice. i'm living with my girlfriend. maybe i shouldn't shoot. >> can i quickly throw this in here? the way it works, it's not a jury, it's a judge. the judge -- >> they're referring to as my lady. >> right, but the problem is the defense, pistorius' lawyer is saying it was him yelling. yet, when he yells, he has a very high voice that sounds like a woman yelling. you really -- >> the witness said she heard two different people yelling, a man and woman. >> they're claiming -- >> it's all him. >> it's him yelling. you run the risk of a judge who probably has a lot -- she has a lot more going on than they're giving her credit for, saying you must be kidding me. you are going to tell me oscar pistorius is yelling and his voice is so high, your witness
1:44am
thought it was someone else? but it's so ridiculous. so cond sensing. >> it might work in front of a jury, but maybe not in front of a seasoned judge. >> did she not say she heard two people, a woman and a man. >> if you're oscar pistorius, say he was crying for help because he found her. >> because the sequence of events. >> dana, you heard something else that was important. >> that to me was the first time i heard that an ear witness, which i never knew that was what that was called, that there had been -- she heard -- the witness said two distinct voices. to me, that was new information. >> you brought up a point, why was he yelling for help? if you heard the male voice, is he yelling because it's an intruder, he doesn't realize? >> i don't see how behind a door she could be that ferocious.
1:45am
>> he thought there was somebody coming into the house. anyway, greg, were you there? >> no, i wasn't. i think the interesting fact in this is oscar pistorius has a new girlfriend, 22-year-old paramedic. you always have to wonder what she says to her friends and family about her new boyfriend when they ask, oh, he's single. yeah, he killed his ex-girlfriend. their first thought is, you cannot be that lonely. there are so many men out there. why do you choose a man who just killed his ex-girlfriend? it's like, now we know why he's back on the market. by the way, this is why we don't need greek tragedies anymore. because we have something that unfolds every day. >> looking for love on south african match.com and not with him. still ahead, could america become a nation of potheads if more states legalize marijuana like colorado and washington? a warning from california's liberal governor about reefer madness next.
1:46am
1:47am
test test flush ush flush
1:48am
then don't miss sleep train's wbest rest event.st ever? you'll find sleep train's very best mattresses at the guaranteed lowest price. plus, pay no interest for 3 years on beautyrest black, stearns & foster, serta icomfort, even tempur-pedic. and rest even better with sleep train's risk-free 100-day money back guarantee. get your best rest ever from sleep train. superior service, best selection, lowest price, guaranteed. ♪ sleep train ♪ your ticket to a better night's sleep ♪
1:49am
washington legalized
1:50am
marijuana, but it doesn't seem like california is going to be following suit anytime soon. liberal governor jerry brown has concerned about america turning into a nation of stoners. >> the problem with anything, a certain amount is okay, but there is a tendency to go to extremes. and all of a sudden, if there's advertising and legitimacy, how many people can get stoned and still have a great state or a great nation? world is pretty dangerous, very competitive. we need to stay alert. it's not 24 hours a day, more than some of the potheads might be able to put together. >> let me add a personal note. i monitored, anchored a debate in 1988 where jerry brown was there, and he was pushing out his 800-number to get money. i talked to him afterwards, and i said what do you think about the legalization of marijuana? he said, it's all overblown what marijuana does to you. they could be fine. i will understand this, as governor, if i thought one state where the population would be
1:51am
more stoned than any other state, it would be california. he's worried about that. jerry has changed his opinion. >> interesting. partially probably because the med medicinal, there are a lot of pot dispensaries in california. like one every corner like starbucks. they're still getting the revenue. maybe they don't see the issue where they need more. you look at denver, $134 million of tax and seed revenue coming into the state of colorado. >> already? >> yeah. >> i'm sure it's being used wisely. >> if anyone is more broke than california, the second most broke state in the union besides illinois. maybe they'll do it. >> i agree with him. i don't see anything wrong with letting colorado and washington experiment, play out for a little longer before he commits california to it. i think that's fine. let them see how it goes. i don't think everybody needs to be in such a hurry. >> greg, you think what he was referring to is a lot of people are going to be so stoned,
1:52am
they're not going to be able to do their jobs? >> perhaps. as you know, i'm pro-legalization of just about every drug on the planet, but i'm aware of the concern that pot diminishes one's ambition. everyone has a friend they knew who was smart and bright and faded away. having said that, you can't legislate everybody because of that. and pot did not fly planes into our buildings. i'm always thinking that maybe one answer to a death cult is feeling good. suicide rates are dropping in states where there's medical marijuana. that's because of an increased psychological well being. maybe it wouldn't be a bad thing if angry men got high. >> you lived in california. you were a pothead. >> no, i wasn't. i was a prosecutor. >> oh, i'm sorry. what do you think about what brown is saying? >> i like his measured approach. i think he's doing the right thing. why not wait and see? let the other states test it out. they're already getting revenue stream in california. maybe he thinks this is not the right time to go overboard on
1:53am
it. and god knows that california has some serious financial concerns. he's a smart guy, like i said before during the break, jesuit educated, really bright. >> legalization should not be based on taxation. >> i agree. >> it should be on legalization and making money, not making money for the man. >> jerry, keep that dooby available for yourself. "one more thing" is up next.
1:54am
1:55am
okay, i told greg it's time for "one more thing." >> oh, my gosh. i can't believe it. awesome. anyway, this is why i never work outside. i prefer to do everything inside a warm studio. thanks for giving me the time to explain it. anyway, that's what happened. >> when does that happen to you, greg? you would still be digging. >> so true. so true.
1:56am
>> i'm taller than you, dana. >> i told people that this weekend. kimberly, you're next. >> thanks so much. a lot of people on twitter were saying poor leo because he's been nominated, he hasn't won. >> leo who? >> dicaprio. >> best performance of his lifetime in wolf of wall street. lost out to matthew mcconaughey. was the critic's favorite for this year, but leo also lost out, he got nominated for blood diamond, and you remember the last king of scotland, forest whittaker got it for that one, and he was very good. >> you're like our own oscar historian. >> get it, oscar historian, not pistorius? eric, you're next. >> a monday pun. eric, you're next. >> okay, "one more thing," so i decided to relate my weekend for you. here's a picture of this, 12 episodes of "house of cards." one episode of "walking dead"
1:57am
and one hour of the oscars. but dana has turned me on to "house of cards" and it's the best show. >> i'm going to do it, too, so we can talk about it. >> you binge watch it. there's 26 episodes available on netflix. i did 12 in a day and a half. >> okay. did you also watch "scandal"? >> i have watched it a couple times. bob, you're next. >> h 116 years of age. she bridged three centuries. her husband died, believe it or not, 83 years ago. >> why are you laughing? >> 83 years is a long time. she said her secret was sushi and sleep. >> see? >> in that order? >> i love it. >> she's still alive? sorry, i thought you said she was dead. it's her birthday. >> oh, my gosh! the worst "one more thing" ever. what's wrong with you?
1:58am
>> i'm sorry. >> what is wrong with you? >> happy birthday. >> it says right here, 116th birthday. >> i'm sorry. glad you're still alive and all that. >> biden did the same thing. >> glad to hear you're single. >> oh, my gosh, bob. >> i have 20 seconds. okay, in the category of what will they think of next, i saw oral b has figured out a way to hook your toothbrush up to your phone. you can brush your teeth and be on your phone to see if you're brushing your teeth correctly. don't forget to set your dvrs. never miss an episode of "the five." and "special report" is next. >> it is tuesday march 4th. we start with a fox news alert. in just two hours our secretary of state john kerry will arrive in the u.k.
1:59am
will vladimir putin listen to him or is he planning his next move. >> this time accused of using video games and booze to lure kids into an under cover operation. that's not all. >> country sweetheart taylor swift fearing for her life this morning. a threat made by a so-called fan. "fox & friends first" starts right now. ♪ >> good morning. you are watching "fox & friends first" on this tuesday morning. we appreciate you staying with us and beginning your day. i am heather childers. >> yes, we appreciate that. it's 59 after the top of the hour. one minute to 5:00. tensions escalating in the
2:00am
ukraine this morning. john kerry is on his way to the region to put pressure on putin to stand down. >> will diplomacy be enough? we have the latest from washington. >> the secretary of state john kerry is in the air on his way to kiev where he will meet the members of ukraine's government and let them know the united states has got their back. experts are predicting kerry's visit is only going to encourage russian president put tin to show off his military strength. >> kerry is going to kiev. don't be surprised if put tin uses that as an opportunity to do something like air strikes on the ukrainian air base. it's about to get worse not better. there are no red lines for this administration. he draws with a pink crayon. >> ukraine's

Terms of Use (10 Mar 2001)